Waltzes and Arias
Magical melodies and swirling rhythms from the golden age of the Viennese waltz: the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra present a new recording of the dazzling music of Johann Strauss, father and son.
Vienna in the 19th century was a city obsessed by music and dancing. By 1825, the adult population was about 200,000, and the capacity of the ballrooms about 50,000. Both Johann Strauss and his son Johann Strauss II were, in turn, known as `the waltz king`, and their music turned them into household names across Europe. On this album, the older Strauss is represented by his `Music of the Spheres`, while the attention turns firmly to the output to his son, including his infamous waltz `On the Beautiful Blue Danube` and the `Thunder and Lightning Polka`.
Strauss II also took inspiration from Vienna`s obsession with foreign musical influences, and we hear strains of Turkey in the `Persian March`, and of gypsy music in `The Gypsy Baron Overture` and the CzÃ¡rdÃ¡s - a kind of folk dance - from the opera Ritter PÃ¡smÃ¡n. Soprano Lorina Gore joins the orchestra for the vocal waltz `FrÃ¼hlingsstimmen` (`Voices of Spring`), as well as arias by Strauss II (`Adele`s Laughing Song` from Die Fledermaus) and LehÃ¡r (`Meine Lippen, sie kÃ¼ssen so heiÃŸ` (`My Lips Kiss So Hotly`) from Giuditta).
The album is conducted by the TSO`s Chief Conductor and Artistic Director Marko Letonja, whose experience with the Vienna Symphony, Vienna State Opera and a host of other European and international orchestras brings new depth to this much-loved music.
FRANZ von SUPPÃ‰
1. Light Cavalry: Overture
2. SphÃ¤renklange (Music of the Spheres) - Waltz
JOHANN STRAUSS II
3. Unter Donner und Blitz (Thunder and Lightning) - Quick Polka
4. FrÃ¼hlingsstimmen (Voices of Spring) - Waltz
5. Persischer Marsch (Persian March)
6. The Gypsy Baron: Overture
7. Meine Lippen, sie kÃ¼ssen so heiÃŸ (My Lips Kiss So Hotly) from Giuditta
JOHANN STRAUSS II
8. CzÃ¡rdÃ¡s - Ballet Music No. 3 from Ritter PÃ¡smÃ¡n
9. Seid umschlungen, Millionen! (Be Embraced, Ye Millions!) - Waltz
10. Mein Herr Marquis (Adele`s Laughing Song) from Die Fledermaus
11. An der schÃ¶nen, blauen Donau (On the Beautiful Blue Danube) - Waltz
Lorina Gore soprano
Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra
Marko Letonja conductor